This course offers a basic induction curriculum for state agency staff with frontline and investigative border management/border guarding responsibilities. It is designed as a mid-level border guard-specific vocational training for junior officers and Non-Commissioned Officers, and aims to transfer relevant knowledge, skills, and attitudes to 1st Responders of border units.
More concretely, the course provides trainees with the opportunity to learn about the principles and processes for the implementation of structured and efficient initial border investigations while offering a chance to practice first-hand necessary skills through practical exercises including group work, case studies, and live demonstrations.
Status: MFHEA Accredited Qualification Type: Award
ECTS: 2 Duration: 4 days
Mode of delivery/attendance: Face-to-face/full-time
Hours of total learning: 25 hours (Contact: 18 hours/Self-study: 29 hours/Assessment: 3 hours)
Language of instruction: English/Arabic
Address: Training Institute on Migration Capacity Partnership for the Mediterranean (MCP Med TI), Development House, 4A, St Anne Street, Floriana, Malta.
Modes of teaching
- Visual aids, props, and equipment
- Plenary discussions
- Verbal and written quizzes
- Practical exercises
- Written reference material
- Recorded and live demonstrations
- Case studies and role plays
To allow for a fair and transparent assessment that accommodates learners’ different learning styles, a three-pillar approach was adopted. Learners will be assessed based on the following:
Attendance: 10 points
Practical Application: 20 points
Practical application is structured as follows:
- Pertinence of questions asked (3 points)
- Accuracy of answers and solid analytical processing (4 points)
- Correct application of skills (5 points)
- Active engagement in discussions, practical exercises and general Q/A sessions (4 points)
- Correct use of terminology (4 points)
Final examination (at the end of course): 70 points
Total score: 100 points
The passing grade for successful completion of programme: 60/100
- Dates for next intake: N/A
- Educational programme fees: N/A
- Registration method: N/A
What Will You Learn?
- Efficiently apply the principles of investigations.
- Use different types and lines of questioning during investigative interviews.
- Identify behavioral indicators as potential deception cues.
- Competently recognise THB indicators.
- Methodically conduct pat downs and body searches.
- Methodically conduct a basic vehicle search.
- Properly handle detainees and seizures.
Initial Investigations (90 minutes)
Role of 1st Responders (120 minutes)
Initial Interviewing Techniques (120 minutes)
Initial Behavioural Analysis (120 minutes)
Introduction to Trafficking in Human Beings (120 minutes)
Introduction to Transnational Organized Crime (120 minutes)
Search of Persons (120 minutes)
Search of Vehicles (1) (90 minutes)
Search of Vehicles (2) (90 minutes)
Course recap and Q/A session (90 minutes)
Final written or online examination (120 minutes)
Final examination Q/A (60 minutes)
End of course evaluation