This course will enable learners to apply adult learning principles in the design and delivery of learner-centred training courses. More concretely, this course will provide trainers with the opportunity to benefit from experiential learning across three elements:
- The principles and processes for the design of a well-structured adult learning training programme.
- The selection and implementation of appropriate inclusive delivery methods.
- Effective evaluation utilizing multiple sources including students; trainers and peers.
Status: MFHEA Accredited Qualification Type: Award
ECTS: 2 Duration: 5 days
Mode of delivery/attendance: Face-to-face/full-time
Hours of total learning: 50 hours (Contact: 16 hours/Self-study: 20 hours/Assessment: 14 hours)
Language of instruction: English/French or Arabic
Address: Training Institute on Migration Capacity Partnership for the Mediterranean (MCP Med TI), Development House, 4A, St Anne Street, Floriana, Malta.
Modes of teaching:
The course is based on the “70:20:10” model for adult learning:
- 70% – Experiential: Applying and putting into own experience and expertise.
- 20% – Social/exposure: Engaging with and learning from others.
- 10% – Formal/education: Learning and developing through formal presentations and theory.
Throughout the course, the learners will have the opportunity to practice either in groups or in tandem the presented concepts and tools through:
- Group work and exercises: posture exercises, role-play, learning games, energizers, etc.
- Tandem presentation: delivery of training
- Joint-reflection: exercises and group feedback on presentation recordings.
- PowerPoint presentations, videos, and printed pictures will be the primary visual aids.
The digital learning tools that will be used are: Laptop, projector, and screen (optional) or interactive whiteboard (if available).
*The self-study will be structured as follows:
After hours’ practice, daily revision and recap:
- Learners will be encouraged to review the shared knowledge by:
- Reviewing the tools and the videos that were used and recorded during the contact hours (Tandem presentations),
- Practicing, filming and reviewing their performance.
- Learners will also be expected to summarize and review the knowledge shared within contact hours on a daily basis.
Estimation: 4h/day (over the 5 days)
- To allow for a fair and transparent assessment that accommodates learners’ different learning styles, a three-pillar approach was adopted. Learners will be assessed based on the following:Attendance: 10 pointsPractical Application: 90 pointsPractical application is structured as follows:
- Pertinence of questions asked (3 points)
- Accuracy of answers and solid analytical processing (4 points)
- Correct application of skills (5 points)
- Active engagement in discussions, practical exercises and general Q/A sessions (4 points)
- Correct use of terminology (4 points)
Final examination (at the end of course): 70 points
Total score: 100 points
The passing grade for successful completion of programme: 60/100
- Dates for next intake: N/A
- Educational programme fees: N/A
- Registration method: N/A
What Will You Learn?
- Identify the key principles of a training cycle and terminology related to training.
- Identify the key principles of adult learning and understand how they impact training design and delivery.
- Identify the factors and interactive techniques that contribute to active learning and memory retention.
- Describe the different communication skills in training and facilitation techniques.